Monday, January 26, 2015

I'm Sorry

Few understand anymore the full significance of the phrase– "I'm sorry."

By this, we usually mean to indicate– "I feel bad about what I've done to you."  Or, if we expressed it more honestly– "I feel bad that I've been caught doing something I know I shouldn't have." We commonly believe "being sorry" is a feeling.


When we wrong another, our actions effectively demonstrate our moral deficiency. The "sinner" has revealed his inner, and true, nature through an external action, the "sin." The sin doesn't make the sinner– the sinner makes the sin, just as the painter produces the painting, not the other way around.

When we merely (and superficially) say we are "sorry" we attach the guilt to the act and  attempt to camouflage it with the fig leaves of expressing our feelings, while more or less avoiding personal responsibility.  Our intent is to communicate "I'm not really a bad person, it was just the act that was bad. I'm as much a victim here as you are, because I feel bad, too."

The original, and deep meaning of the word "sorry" is "wretched, or worthless," as in– "That guy's a sorry...(you-fill-in-the-blank)." If we sincerely desire coming to terms with the situation, we will realize the heavier weight of the statement "I am sorry." We accept we are, indeed, wretched and worthless internally, and for this reason acted in such an onerous manner. Being "sorry" is not solely an emotional feeling, but the nucleus of our genuine moral state. Acceptance of this truth is the initial step on the path to remediation and progress.

However, redoubling our efforts to "be good" is not sufficient to pave the way to absolution and advancement in our moral lives, for we are all broken persons living among a broken people (Isaiah 6.1-7). Rather, recognizing our desperate condition, our only recourse is throwing our "sorry" selves upon the abundant mercy of Him Who loves us without reserve (Romans 7.24-25). God will generously put our feet on the firm ground of Himself and help us to walk forward on that path.

Lord, please help me realize, and face up to, the dark things within me, without attempting to cover them over or hide them from You. And help me, by the limitless power of Your Holy Spirit, to walk in the wonderful ways You have intended for me.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

>>> Except for quotations, all text and images are Copyright, Bill Brockmeier, 2015.  All rights reserved.

No comments: